Manchester Access Programme (MAP)
If you’re a Year 12 student, living or studying in Greater Manchester and meet specific academic and background criteria, you could join MAP and demonstrate your potential to succeed at university.
MAP aims to support your entry to The University of Manchester – or to another research-intensive university – through the completion of a portfolio of work that demonstrates specific knowledge and skills to help you become a successful university student. Places on the MAP are limited and are subject to an application process.
- Advice and guidance for your UCAS application and personal statement. If you decide to apply to The University of Manchester, you’ll also receive an early decision on your application.
- Dependent upon household income, MAP students may be eligible to receive a scholarship to assist with their undergraduate studies should they choose The University of Manchester.
- A reduced offer of up to two A-level grades (or equivalent) below the standard entry offer.
When Can I Apply?
If you are a student and are in Year 12 in the school year 2018/19 please visit Manchester Access Programme website to apply. Applications are open from early November to mid December. Check the website for exact dates.
To be eligible to take part in the MAP you will need to meet essential criteria.
Please note this is the criteria for MAP 2018/19 and is subject to change for future years
(Due to popularity there are separate strands of MAP for Medicine and Dentistry and these have further academic entry criteria, please see the main website for further details):
- You are in Year 12 in a state-maintained school or college.
- You live in Greater Manchester or you study at an institution in Greater Manchester.
- You attended a state-maintained secondary school (i.e. you have never attended a school/college that charges fees).
- You are currently studying a two-year Level 3 qualification. This could mean A-levels, a BTEC qualification, etc.
- Neither of your parents have attended university and obtained an undergraduate degree or equivalent level qualification in the UK or abroad. (If one or more of your parents is currently studying for their first degree, or they graduated from their first degree within the last ten years, we will still consider your application).
- You have at least five A* to B (9-6) grades at GCSE (or equivalent, eg GNVQ, BTEC Certificate), if this does not include English Language and Mathematics then you must have achieved at least a grade C (4) in these subjects.
Find Out More
For further information, including what is involved in MAP, how to apply and further information about the benefits of the scheme; please visit the Manchester Access Programme website.
This information is accurate as of November 2018 and is subject to change.