If you’re a Year 12 student that lives or studies in Greater Manchester and meets specific academic and background criteria, you could join MAP and demonstrate your potential to succeed at university.
MAP aims to support your entry to The University of Manchester – or to another research-intensive university – through the completion of a portfolio of work that demonstrates specific knowledge and skills to support you in becoming a successful university student. Places on the MAP are limited and are subject to an application process.
- Advice and guidance for your UCAS application and personal statement. If you decide to apply to The University of Manchester, you’ll also receive an early decision on your application;
- Dependent upon household income, MAP students may be eligible to receive a scholarship to assist with their undergraduate studies should they choose The University of Manchester;
- A reduced offer of up to two A-level grades (or equivalent) below the standard entry offer (e.g. AAA could become ABB) upon competition of MAP.
Greater Manchester pupils wishing to join the Manchester Access Programme (MAP) must meet all of the essential criteria and at least one of the priority criteria.
To be eligible to apply MAP you must meet all of the following criteria:
- live in Greater Manchester or study at an institution in Greater Manchester;
- attend a state-maintained post-16 institution and are studying a two-year Level 3 qualification (e.g. A-levels, a BTEC qualification, etc). Applicants need to be in Year 12 (lower sixth) at the point of application;
- have achieved at least five grade A*–B (9–6) at GCSE (or equivalent, eg GNVQ, BTEC certificate) at the point of application; if this does not include English Language and Mathematics you must have achieved at least a grade C (4) in these subjects. Please note: the ECDL will not be considered as a GCSE equivalent;
- have attended a state-maintained secondary school (i.e. you did not have to pay for your education);
- come from a home where neither parent obtained a university level degree or equivalent in the UK or abroad (if one or more parent is currently studying their first degree, or graduated from their first degree within the last ten years, an application may be considered);
- be a home registered student or expect to be a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (according to https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies) by the time you would start a university degree.
You also have to meet any one of the socio-economic or personal background priority criteria listed on the Manchester Access Programme website.
Medicine or Dentistry strand
If you wish to apply for the Medicine or Dentistry strand of MAP you also have to meet additional GCSE requirements. Please see the full eligibility criteria here.
How to apply
Applications for MAP 2021 are now closed. Places on the Manchester Access Programme will be confirmed in March 2021.
Find out more
For further information, including what is involved in MAP, how to apply, and additional benefits of the scheme, please visit the Manchester Access Programme website.
If you want to find out more about the Manchester Access Programme or ask the team a question, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This information is accurate as of December 2020 and is subject to change.