The School of Social Sciences are offering a pre-university course to students who are interested in studying one of their subjects at undergraduate level. The course is called the Arthur Lewis Assignment.
The course will be delivered by distance learning and aims to give you experience of university style study. You will develop undergraduate student skills, and by the end of the course you will feel confident to complete an academic assignment based on reading provided by the department.
All undergraduate Social Sciences courses participate in the Arthur Lewis Assignment except those relating to Law, as they have their own programme (you can view more about the Pathways to Law scheme here).
Benefits of participating in the Arthur Lewis Assignment include:
- A one grade reduction to the standard entry requirements onto a Social Sciences course (excluding Law courses) at The University of Manchester upon successful completion of the scheme;
- The opportunity to experience undergraduate study before beginning or applying to a university degree course;
- The chance to develop the skills to help you become a successful Social Sciences university student.
To take part in the Arthur Lewis Assignment you must:
- Hold an offer for a School of Social Sciences undergraduate programme at The University of Manchester;
- Live in a neighbourhood that has a low progression rate to higher education or an area that has a high level of deprivation (this means your application will have received a ‘WP’ flag) and/or be living in, or have lived in, local authority care for more than three months (this means your application will have received a ‘WP Plus’ flag)*.
* You can find out more about ‘WP/WP Plus’ flags by looking at this contextual data page on the University website. You can check whether you would receive a WP/WP Plus flag by using this ‘Eligibility checker’ – but please note this is only applicable for the 2022 admissions cycle because the classification of your postcode/school/college may change from year to year. For information on contextual data, please see this section of our website.
If you are eligible for the Arthur Lewis Assignment, you will be contacted via email from February, so no need to worry. If you have further questions, please contact email@example.com
This information is accurate as of July 2022 and is subject to change.